This was a question that I asked a few guys. Here is some of the answers I got.
From Basil =
At first we look for a person who matches our selfish specifications. A partner that satisfies all the requirements we have for the perfect catch! This is the business deal. It works like this….
No…. it is a business deal that evolves into a selfless obsession
- I will deliver the sex you require in return for continued loyalty, attendance and attention
- I will display my personality so long as you accept and celebrate it.
- I will support you if you support me.
- I will communicate nice with you as long as you communicate nice with me.
- I will share your interests if you share mine.
Once the relationship gains maturity it becomes….
- I know you have human sexual needs and I commit to relieving you
- I accept the anomalies in your personality because you tolerate mine.
- I support you because I care.
- I will talk to you nice because I always get the same back.
- I look forward to sharing more quality time with you because it’s always fine!
So…. In the beginning it is a trade off, we decide if we are receiving what we need from a relationship. We evaluate the viability of co finance on the basis of personal benefit. This is the business of love!
In the end it becomes a mission of service. We simply look after the happiness quota of our partner.
From Ron =
Love is a BLOOD SPORT. It takes no prisoners for very long, sooner or later she will rip your heart out and feast on it right in front of you.
From Anonomous =
Life is too short for us to keep important words, for example, ‘I love you’, locked in our hearts.
But do not always expect to hear the same words back. We love because we need to love. Otherwise, love loses all meaning and the sun ceases to shine.
A rose dreams of enjoying the company of bees, but none appears. The sun asks:
‘Aren’t you tired of waiting?’
‘Yes,’ answers the rose, ‘but if I close my petals, I will wither and die.’
And yet, even when Love does not appear, we remain open to its presence. Sometimes, when loneliness seems about to crush everything, the only way to resist is to keep on loving.
Our one true choice is to plunge into the mystery of that uncontrollable force.
Then we discover, when we go home, that someone was there waiting for us, looking for the same thing we were looking for and experiencing the same anxieties and longings.
Because love is like the water that is transformed into a cloud: it’s lifted up into the heavens, where it can see everything from a distance, aware that, one day, it will have to return to earth.
Because love is like the cloud that is transformed into rain: it is drawn down to the earth, where it waters the fields.
Love is only a word, until we decide to let it possess us with all its force.
Love is only a word, until someone arrives to give it meaning.
Don’t give up. Remember, it’s always the last key on the keyring that opens the door.
–Paulo Coelho de Souza